I am a university researcher and lecturer with more than fifteen years involvement in academia. Born in Switzerland, I completed my Leaving Certificate and Federal Maturity in Zug, Berne and Zurich. I later studied English Linguistics and Literature at the University of Zurich. Following three years as teaching assistant in Zurich, I was appointed lecturer in German and Cultural Studies at University College Cork (2002) and University of Limerick (2003). I was awarded a Dr phil (PhD) in English Linguistics by the University of Zurich in 2005. In 2007, I was appointed permanent lecturer in applied linguistics at ZHAW, and became professor in 2012. Since my appointment at ZHAW, I have occupied various other roles in different higher education institutions, including University of Bern, University of Neuchâtel, BFH, and HEP-BEJUNE.
I have published and edited various articles in journals and books and have a wide teaching background in applied linguistics, cultural studies, translation studies, stylistics and discourse analysis.
- Professor of Applied Linguistics at Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW (since 2012)
- Dr. phil. (University of Zurich, 2005)
- Lic. phil./ M.A. (University of Zurich, 1999)
Previous university positions:
- 2007-2011: College Lecturer in Applied Linguistics (permanent position), School of Applied Linguistics, ZHAW (Switzerland)
- 2003-2007: Fulltime College Lecturer / Embassy of Switzerland Lecturer, University of Limerick and Mary Immaculate College (Ireland)
- 2002-2003: Fulltime College Lecturer, Department of German, University College Cork (Ireland)
- 1999-2002: Assistant Lecturer, English Department, University of Zurich (Switzerland)
- 2014-2016: Visiting Researcher HEP BEJUNE (University of Teacher Education, Cantons of Bern, Jura, Neuchâtel, in Biel/Bienne, Switzerland)
- 2007-2010: Postdoctoral Researcher and Project Leader 'Discourses on Multilingualism at the supranational European level', Department of Linguistics, University of Bern, LINEE (Languages in a Network of European Excellence)
- June 2020: Visiting Scholarship, Center for International Higher Education, Boston College, USA
- 2010-2016: Visiting Lecturer, Bern University of Applied Sciences (BFH-TI)
- 2010-2011: Visiting Lecturer, Department of English, University of Neuchâtel
- Member of the Board of LCC Language Competence Centre, School of Applied Linguistics, ZHAW (2012-2018)